Wednesday, December 26, 2007

To Market, To Market

I forgot how quickly I can get a project done when I'm using big needles. Yesterday, during our family Christmas get-together at my aunt and uncle's house, I started knitting the Fantasy Naturale Market Bag with my Cotton & Eco-spun Organic Cotton/Recycled Soda Bottle yarn (167 yards for $1.79!). Using my, ahem, Knitpicks Options needles in US size 10 1/2, I knit the bottom square in garter stitch, then continued the pattern in using my, ahem, Knitpicks Options Harmony Wood needles in US size 15.


If you look carefully, you can almost see the pretty wooden needle tips at the top of the picture below.

I cranked through the bag for quite a while yesterday, a little more last night, and then a lot of the day today. I did have a little snafu yesterday when the needle tip unscrewed from the cable, but it was completely my fault. I hadn't tightened it with the cable key, thinking I was manly enough the screw the tip on tightly myself. User error. I put the tip back on the right way and fumbled through finding my dropped stitches. Kind of hard when you have 80 bajillion yarn-overs and K2togs, but I think I did okay.

I had almost finished the bag, using just one of my purty little yarn cakes, when I realized that I was going to need to start a second cake. I needed a teensy bit more yarn. Crappity crap crap. I don't like joining yarn when I have such a loose knit. How do I weave in the ends so that they stay in? Hmmm. Did a little research and I did a Russian join. I can't remember where I saw this join mentioned, but a little googling led me to the link that showed me how to do it. Totally worth the effort. The picture below shows my newly joined yarn. I didn't have to be perfect, because the textured yarn hides my less-than-stellar job, but it worked.


I knit the few more rounds I needed, and voila . . .


Done, done, done.
I followed the pattern almost entirely, changing it only to add 4 additional rounds of garter stitch to widen the handles. They seemed like they'd be wimpy if they were left too narrow.

This bag is loose and stretchy, and it'll be the perfect bag to use when I stroll through the market, carefully selecting fresh fruits and vegetables.

Um . . . wait . . . I never do that.

It'll be the perfect bag to use when I . . . um . . . give me a minute. I'll think of something.

I know! I know! It'll be the perfect bag to use when I stroll through the CT Sheep, Wool & Fiber Festival in April. When I'm shopping at WEBS. When I go to Rhinebeck next fall. I'll load it with tons and tons of yarn! That's what I'll do.

How do you like them apples?

5 comments:

WifeMomKnitter said...

Thank you for posting that pattern! I am not having much sucess with the crochet one I was making. I think I'll frog it and use this pattern. It looks very nice (even for $1.79 :-) I can say that because I bought 4 skeins of it too!)

Anonymous said...

Nice bag....do you sleep...eat...breathe? You are a knitting machine! :o)

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! Good job. I will go with you to buy fruit and vegetables which you should be eating!! What's next?

Love,
Mitten Lady

acambras said...

Love the bag! It will probably be more comfy with the wider handles, too. :-)

anphoe said...

Cute bag! I like it.

And looks like you got lots of nice gifts this year!! Very excited for you that you got a ball winder and a swift!!