Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Time for a Little Variety

They're done! My hand is cramped into a knotty little claw, but the boy is happy. I finished the Beatles jeans at about 11:15 PM last night. What a good mommy I am. I may not cook him any decent meals, but I can write on pants like nobody else.



He wore them to school today (!) with his green peace sign t-shirt. He thought he looked like a hippie and . . . well . . . he did.

I worried all day. My boy and I both thought the jeans were cool, as did many of you out there, but how would high schoolers react? I was afraid the boy would be 9th grade road kill. Happy to report there was no need to worry. Although some kids thought they looked like pajama pants, most thought they were cool and some thought they looked like he'd bought them at a store.

Now I want to write up a pair for myself - in much bigger print, but I need to take a little break. The Sharpie fumes are making me loopy.

In other news, we had the second meeting of our 3rd grade knitting group. Last week, the girls were calm and relaxed, chatting with me as we knit. This week - not so much. Wild children. We did get some knitting done and I even taught three girls to purl. They're SO impressed with stockinette stitch. It seems to look real to them, "like a sweater."

I even got a gift today from one of the girls:

Let's call it a neckwarmer. She intended to knit me a scarf, but greatly underestimated the amount of yarn it would take her. She just had one little ball of this thick puple yarn. I'm making this neckwarmer look good.

Really.

It's all me.

Look below.

You'll see what I mean.

Go ahead.

Look.

This knitter had started with 5 stitches on her needles and ended up with lots more. We're working on that little problem.

I, on the other hand, have not underestimated the amount of yarn I'd need for a scarf. My Smock-a-Ruche is coming along nicely. I'm into my second skein of Knitpicks Bare (220 yds. each), so it's not a one-skein project for me. But that's okay. I'm happy!

Look what I got in the mail. Arbitron, the company that measures radio station audiences, called me randomly and asked me to participate in a one time radio survey. I'm such a pushover. To thank me for my weakn - I mean willingness to take part, they sent me a crisp dollar bill. Sweet.

And finally, I leave you with a peek at my new eyeglasses. Just got them today. I'm never happy. I have such a hard time picking glasses. I like them when I choose them, but when I go to pick them up . . . yuck. I'm hoping these will grow on me.

I want to have cool glasses like other people. Sadly, cool glasses look dorky on me.

At least I'll have these to give my eyes a break from the contact lenses I wear for weeks at a time. (Don't worry, Mom. These contacts are specifically meant to wear them for up to 30 days straight. Really. And the eye doctor did an eye exam and pronounced my eyes healthy. I'm not lying. No, I won't mess with my eyes. I know they're the only eyes I'll ever have. Yes, I'm taking care of them. Respect the eyes. I know, I know.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Your child looks very nice in his Beatle's jeans. You should go into business. I would like James Taylor songs on mine, just kidding. I like your new glassrs, very chic, show up your pretty eyes. I don't need a neck warmer, you can get me something else for Mother's Day.
XO

Anonymous said...

Love the jeans...very cool that he likes them!! Love the glasses too!!! Nothing dorky about them. If yours are dorky, then so are mine. Hmmm.